Login

TOPIC: Question about "Primary/Auxillary" gems and crafting RNG

Question about "Primary/Auxillary" gems and crafting RNG 1 year 2 months ago #16428

• phalaeo
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi folks-

Trying to help my husband... he rolled some gear with Quartz as the Primary (top) gem, and Tsavorite as the Auxillary (bottom) gem. Lucky guy rolled a max-enchanted gold... but all the mods are Fire Magic mods.

A. Is this possible, or is it a bug?

B. If it is possible to use two different gems, but get all mods in just one skill... what are the chances?

C. I thought that the primary gem always gave more mods for that skill, and the auxillary less. Otherwise, why would they be named that?

Sorry if this is confusing, I can help my husband farm more mats... just trying to understand what's intended vs. what is possible.

Thanks! :)
OMG, BEES!!!!!!!!!
~ Pallai ~
You must log in to post or reply.

Question about "Primary/Auxillary" gems and crafting RNG 1 year 2 months ago #16429

• Niph
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 30
Until a dev gives a better informed reply.

phalaeo wrote:
Possible, as far as I know, but bad luck.

phalaeo wrote:
B. If it is possible to use two different gems, but get all mods in just one skill... what are the chances?
Let's see, say the odds to roll a primary are 50%, then rolling 5 primary mods has 3% chance to happen.

phalaeo wrote:
C. I thought that the primary gem always gave more mods for that skill, and the auxillary less. Otherwise, why would they be named that?
What you wrote makes sense to me, but might not be the way it is coded, and even if so, you can still get unlucky (or lucky) and just roll one type. :)

Note that you can always add an augment of the right type afterward, although that prevents you from adding other enhancements or infusing with the new skill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phalaeo

Question about "Primary/Auxillary" gems and crafting RNG 1 year 2 months ago #16431

• Irelia
  • Thank you received: 3
phalaeo wrote:
Hi folks-

possible, since I've crafted some leather gear before that has only necro mods, even though I used 2 gems
The following user(s) said Thank You: phalaeo

Question about "Primary/Auxillary" gems and crafting RNG 1 year 2 months ago #16433

• Telakai
  • Elite Member
  • Video Game Player
  • Thank you received: 38
My priorities in-game are Crafting>Soloing>Grouping. The crafting system as-implemented is meant to provide higher chances to get 2-skill gear when using 2 different skill gems. That said, I haven't run an analytic to find out how often 1-skill gear is created.

Citan intends for us to use 2-skill gear, not 1-skill gear. about 9 months ago, no one used 2-skill gear because the mods for each skill just weren't as great. Now, the playstyle of the game demands 2-skill play and 2-skill gear. That said, sometimes a 1-skill helm is better for your build than a 2-skill helm, for example.

I'm babbling. There's a chance this will happen (as you know), it's not a bug(to my knowledge), and you are correct: the primary skill *should* populate more mods than the auxillary skill. Good news, though. Yellows are still fairly easy to craft. They used to be a 1-in-100 chance, then they went to a staggering 1-in-10 chance, and now it seems they're at a good place: around 1-in-(30-50).

-Hood
energy derives from both the plus and negative
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Telakai. Reason: accuracy

Question about "Primary/Auxillary" gems and crafting RNG 1 year 2 months ago #16445

• Lycurgus
Telakai wrote:
Yellows are still fairly easy to craft. They used to be a 1-in-100 chance, then they went to a staggering 1-in-10 chance, and now it seems they're at a good place: around 1-in-(30-50).

-Hood

Pallai is talking about my crafting results. I've just recently been working on max-enchanted level 60 gear. One piece of gear I would chalk up to bad luck. Out of roughly 30 attempts at leggings, there was one yellow set with 5 fire mods and 1 ice mod. Working on max-enchanted gloves a few days later there was a single yellow in ~30 attempts with 6 fire mods and 0 ice mods.

Pink/purple/blue/green pieces were more balanced, usually half fire mods and half ice. It makes me wonder if there isn't something broken in the RNG or if something isn't out of whack with primary/auxiliary slots for max-enchanted gear.

Findael

Question about "Primary/Auxillary" gems and crafting RNG 1 year 2 months ago #16447

• Telakai
  • Elite Member
  • Video Game Player
  • Thank you received: 38
It's possible. Things break between updates sometimes very spontaneously. I'm planning on making some new gear in a couple of days, so I'll find out if I have that problem too. Fire has so many mods that a yellow max is actually necessary, so I feel your pain.
energy derives from both the plus and negative